Pearls are an organic “gemstone” and though they are far more delicate than other gemstones, with proper care, they will keep their beautiful luster for generations. The thing that makes pearls so beautiful is called nacre, it forms the iridescent outer layer of pearls and can be damaged with improper care. Here is everything you need to know about taking care of your pearls to make sure they last a lifetime!
Keep in mind:
- Pearls can be damaged by acidic or alkaline substances and extreme changes in humidity and temperature. Heat and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can dry out the pearls and lead them to crack. Avoid exposing them to cosmetics, lotions, the rule of thumb with pearls is that they should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.
- Never use an ultrasonic or steam cleaner on pearl jewelry.
- Be mindful not to wear pearl jewelry in a pool, bath, sauna or shower.
- Do not submerge your pearl in water, the water alone will not harm the pearl, however, the glue used to attach the pearl to a ring can be dissolved and wear away over time loosening the pearl.
- Plastic can damage pearls so do not store them in plastic.
Caring for your pearls daily:
- Pearls love to be worn! The water on your skin will actually keep them hydrated and shining. Just wipe your pearl with a soft non-abrasive cloth to keep it looking its best.
- Be mindful of the possibility of scratching your pearl, they are only a 2.5 on the Mohs hardness scale and are easily scratched.
- Do not wear your pearls when exercising.
- Never wear your pearl jewelry while cleaning, they should not be exposed to chemicals in any form.
- Never wear pearl rings while cooking, It's also a good idea to take off your pearls when you're cooking. Acids (like lemon), grease and heat can cause damage to your pearls.
How to clean your pearls:
Step 1: Gently wipe your pearls with a damp non-abrasive cloth to remove any grime.
Step 2: If a deeper cleaning is needed you may use a small amount of pearl-friendly cleaner on the piece.
You can always send us your ring for us to clean for you too! We are happy to give it a touch up if needed.